Students at Highland Park Middle School will be over the rainbow this week as they stage four performances of The Wizard of Oz, and your child could be too.
With the help of the special effects wizards at ZFX, many of the actors will fly above the stage. As part of the fun, the Jesters and Players Booster Club will raffle off two flights. Here are the rules:
- Students in third through eighth grades are eligible to win.
- Winners must weigh less than 175 pounds and be in good physical condition.
- Winners must sign insurance indemnification before flying.
- Flights may be videotaped or photographed, but equipment operation and design may not.
- Winners’ names will be drawn after Friday’s 4 p.m. performance.
- Flights will take place after Sunday’s 2 p.m. performance.
Raffle tickets are $5, but you can get five of them for $20. Admission tickets are $5. Both types of tickets can be purchased in the HPMS cafeteria from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. Admission tickets can also be purchased 30 minutes in advance of each performance: 7 p.m. on Thursday, 4 p.m. on Friday, 7 p.m. on Saturday, and 2 p.m. on Sunday.
The cast includes 120 students led by Susan McCormick, HPMS drama director; Heath Farr and Laurie Tirmenstein, HPMS music directors; and Megan Kelly Bates, choreographer/artistic director of the Preston Center Dance Conservatory for the Arts.
“We are very excited for the journey ahead for all of us,” McCormick said. “I know we will come out of Oz with a bigger ‘heart,’ a little bit ‘smarter,’ and with a lot more ‘courage’ to find our ‘home’ in the theater.”